FC3 Mail Server Spam Assassin

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Apr 14 12:21:41 UTC 2005

Am Do, den 14.04.2005 schrieb Bob Chiodini um 13:42:

> How should I set up SPAM Assassin/sendmail to filter email for all
> users?
>
> I have FC3 running fetchmail and Cyrus IMAP for my family and noticed
> that only the mail read by Evolution passes through spamd.  The kids and
> the wife use Thunderbird and Outlook Express on windows. Their email
> apparently does not run through spamd.

Yes, as long as you don't place SpamAssassin into the mail stream the
MTA handles, you have such a situation.

> I'm guessing MIMEDefang as a sendmail milter.  Is the the accepted
> method?  Could it be done with sieve?

Not with Sieve.

> Bob...

There are several possibilites. MimeDefang is one, and I am using
MimeDefang with great joy. Dag has an RPM for Fedora and so you can have
it running quickly. A different tool is AMaViS, especially amavisd-new.
Dag has an RPM of that thing too. Too a filter, in this case specialized
to integrate only SpamAssassin into Sendmail (both other tools named too
are able to integrate anti-virus scanners) is milter-spamc. It works
nice too.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 14:16:20 up 2 days, 10:56, load average: 0.40, 0.36, 0.24