Anyone have the Nvidia driver working in 2.6.11-1.14_FC3?

Thu Apr 14 15:24:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 11:14 -0400, Neal Wilkinson wrote:
> Marc Schwartz wrote:

<snip>

> >Neal,
> >
> >There are "extra" files there (nvidia8 - nvidia15) which is curious
> and
> >the permissions on those files are wrong. It may be a result of the
> >various things that have been done OR it may also very well be the
> >result of the particular nVidia card you are using which perhaps
> >requires the additional files.
> >
> >I went back through the thread and unless I missed it, I did not see
> >mention of which card you have. I have the GeForce FX Go 5200, on a
> Dell
> >laptop.
> >
> >Try to run:
> >
> >ls -l /dev/nv*
> >
> >and see what output you get there.
> >
> >At this point, I think that I would in fact recommend that you run
> the
> >two udev related commands, just to be sure. That will also solve the
> >permission issues.
> >
> >Marc
> >

> I have a Geforce 2. Here is what I get.
> crw-------  1 neal root 195, 255 Apr 13 20:11 /dev/nvidia
> crw-------  1 neal root 195,   0 Apr 13 16:49 /dev/nvidia0
> crw-------  1 neal root 195,   1 Apr 13 16:49 /dev/nvidia1
> crw-------  1 neal root 195,  10 Mar 13 12:03 /dev/nvidia10
> crw-------  1 neal root 195,  11 Mar 13 12:03 /dev/nvidia11
> crw-------  1 neal root 195,  12 Mar 13 12:03 /dev/nvidia12
> crw-------  1 neal root 195,  13 Mar 13 12:03 /dev/nvidia13
> crw-------  1 neal root 195,  14 Mar 13 12:03 /dev/nvidia14
> crw-------  1 neal root 195,  15 Mar 13 12:03 /dev/nvidia15
> crw-------  1 neal root 195,   2 Apr 13 16:49 /dev/nvidia2
> crw-------  1 neal root 195,   3 Apr 13 16:49 /dev/nvidia3
> crw-------  1 neal root 195,   4 Apr 13 16:49 /dev/nvidia4
> crw-------  1 neal root 195,   5 Apr 13 16:49 /dev/nvidia5
> crw-------  1 neal root 195,   6 Apr 13 16:49 /dev/nvidia6
> crw-------  1 neal root 195,   7 Apr 13 16:49 /dev/nvidia7
> crw-------  1 neal root 195,   8 Mar 13 12:03 /dev/nvidia8
> crw-------  1 neal root 195,   9 Mar 13 12:03 /dev/nvidia9
> crw-------  1 neal root 195, 255 Apr 13 16:49 /dev/nvidiactl
>
> What two commands are they?

The two commands are:

cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices
chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*

Be sure to run these as root from a console.

In actuality, these will not solve the permission issue, so after
running the above, as root, also run:

chmod 0666 /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*

That should take care of it.

I have a feeling that the nvidia8 - nvidia15 files might be superfluous,
but without your starting from scratch on this, there may be no other
way to be sure.

If you are planning to move to FC4, that would be a good time to start
again from a clean system, so for the time being, if this is working for
you without subsequent problems, I'd leave it as is after running the
above 3 commands.

HTH,

Marc