Update Service

Scott Becker scottb at bxwa.com
Thu Apr 14 23:31:04 UTC 2005

David Hoffman wrote:

>On 4/14/05, Scott Becker <scottb at bxwa.com> wrote:
>

>>Does anybody offer an update server for Fedora so that for a fee I can
>>get high performance updates?
>>

>What is wrong with the current update process using Yum that you need
>better performance? Or do you just WANT to pay money?
>
>Tell you what. I'll download all the updates and put them in a special
>repository that only you can connect to, and you can pay me. :)

As far as I can tell from logging into my RHN account they don't offer a
channel for fedora. No mention on fedora.redhat.com either.

Yes I'm referring to higher data rates. I'm getting slow (9kb/s) or fast
for 30 seconds and then slow forever.

Is yum the default? I'm trying out fedora on a desktop machine and did
an 'everything' install. Then without configuring anything I ran
'up2date -uf'. The result on each attempt to download all the packages
is all over the map. And it's been all day and it's still not done. (it
does resume nicely on retry after a failure though).

If yum is not the default, how do I set it up? If I'm already using yum
and 9kb/s is typical then I long for the days or old rhn where I can pay
$60/year to get an update service which can feed updates at 100kb/s.

    scottb