Shell Scropts

Mark Sargent powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp
Fri Apr 15 02:09:39 UTC 2005

JOHN H DURRANT wrote:

>Hello,
>
>  I am running Fedora Core 3 and downloaded a .bin file from a site that I
>trust.  The instructions that came with the file say to double click on the
>file.  When I do this, Fedora tells me that it doesn't know what to do with
>a .bin file but that the contents look like a shell script.  I then let's be
>browse for the right command to use to open a shell script file.  What's the
>right answer?
>
>Thanks,
>
>John Durrant

Hi All,

John, to execute a file, you need to give it the right permissions. Do
this from the command prompt, 'chmod +x filename' minus the quotes from
within the directory the file is in. You must be su'd in as root to do
this. If you're not, and it's a first, open a terminal, and type su -
then enter and then you'll be prompted for your root password. Type the
password and then run the commnad I gave above. Hope that helps. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.