how to configure modem

I've got a USR modem, and it works fine, but it makes a terrible racket.
Whether from Kermit or my preferred program which is ProComm running in a dos
emulator, I can't seem to control much at all, especially the modem volume. I
can't find much on the net, except tons of instructions for configuring KPPP
which doesn't help much. KPPP doesn't do vt220 terminal emulation, so it's
not going to help. Is there some other way of setting modem behavior?
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA