Getting Root mail in normal e-mail client

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Apr 15 07:50:26 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 14:45 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> I will add to this.  On my ISP's mail server, I cannot send mail out
> from my box using sendmail.  Even at work we have to modify the
> /etc/mail/sendmail.xx files to get it to work.  We had to get sendmail
> to masquerade the addresses for the mail server to accept our mail.

Your mail server was probably using the unresolvable domain name
"localhost.localdomain" for outgoing mail. No properly-configured mail
server should be accepting mail from unresolvable domain, so it's likely
that all you need to do is to get your server to use a real domain name,
even if it's something like blah-12.34.56.78-isp.net.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>