Getting Root mail in normal e-mail client

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Apr 15 14:52:29 UTC 2005

Robin Laing wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 14:45 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
>>
>>> I will add to this.  On my ISP's mail server, I cannot send mail out
>>> from my box using sendmail.  Even at work we have to modify the
>>> /etc/mail/sendmail.xx files to get it to work.  We had to get
>>> sendmail to masquerade the addresses for the mail server to accept
>>> our mail.
>>

>> Your mail server was probably using the unresolvable domain name
>> "localhost.localdomain" for outgoing mail. No properly-configured mail
>> server should be accepting mail from unresolvable domain, so it's likely
>> that all you need to do is to get your server to use a real domain name,
>> even if it's something like blah-12.34.56.78-isp.net.
>>
>> Paul.
>

> I agree that it is partly FQDN, at least at home.  At work all our
> workstations are real domain names.  The issue is the mail server will
> not forward/relay mail with these domain names XXX.YYY.DRDC-RDDC.gc.ca.
> All mail must come from @DRDC-RDDC.gc.ca.  I can ping my computer using
> just it's first name with no problem from any work station and I have a
> public IP address.

So that's an additional requirement enforced by the company mail server.
  Not much you can do about that.

> At home, I cannot get FQDN as the DHCP name keeps changing by the IP I
> am assigned.  I haven't looked further than mail refused for this
> reason.  I would have to change the domain name on all the computers at
> home and do it dynamically.

How often does the IP change? An option that might work for you in lieu
of a real domain name would be to use one of the dynamic DNS services
that provide a fixed hostname that maps to your dynamic IP. You run a
client of some sort on your computer to keep the service updated with IP
address changes.

Alternatively, you could use genericstable entries to map the sender
addresses for your outgoing mail onto the actual email addresses of the
people that use your computers, so that their mail goes out wit hthe
right address.

Paul.