System locks up with SMP kernel, but not regular kernel... smp used to work fine.

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 21:21:51 UTC 2005

I have been using smp kernels since I first installed FC3, and have
had no problems until now. But after this last upgrade, my system
starts up fine and gets to the Gnome login screen. I enter my user
name and password, and it starts to log me in... and then totally
locks up the whole system.

If I boot the NON-smp kernel, it works fine. I do have a P4 with
HyperThreading, and so the smp kernel loads as the system sees two
CPUs.

My log files don't seem to show anything out of the ordinary... all
the services start up, gnome starts, and after the username and
password are entered, I see gconfd loading it's configuration. The
next thing I see is the machine starting up after I do a full reset.
No error messages.

I don't recall seeing anything in the past few days that are specific
to smp kernels not booting when non-smp kernels work fine.

So if anyone knows of a bug report or previous thread about this,
please point me in that direction.

Thanks

--

David
Registered Linux User 383030 (since everyone else was doing it 8-)