Need help getting clamav working

Saurabh Barve sa at atmos.colostate.edu
Fri Apr 15 22:38:20 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Fr, den 15.04.2005 schrieb Saurabh Barve um 23:34:
>

>>This thread got me to try and get clamav working on my machine as well.
>>
>>I changed settings in sendmail.mc, and in /etc/sysconfig/clamav-milter.
>>Here is the socket line in in /etc/sysconfig/clamav-milter:
>>'local:/var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.sock '
>>
>>And generating the sendmail.cf file after making changes to the
>>sendmail.c, I get this in the sendmail.cf file:
>>'Xclamav, S=local:/var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.sock,F=,T=S:4m;R:4m'
>

> I am not sure about your quotation: are the '' just in your mail or
> inside your sendmail.cf? A common fault is to use wrong quotes inside
> the sendmail.mc. A proper line here for clamav-milter looks like:
>
> INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clamav', `S=unix:/var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.sock,
> F=T, T=S:4m;R:4m;E:4m')dnl
>
> The quotation pairs are `'. The resulting Xclamav line in sendmail.cf is
> then
>
> Xclamav, S=unix:/var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.sock, F=T,
> T=S:4m;R:4m;E:4m
>
> You see, no quotes there.
>

>>But when I did 'service clamav-milter start', I kept getting this error:
>>
>>Starting Clamav Milter Daemon: clamav-milter: socket-addr (
>>local:/var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.sock) doesn't agree with sendmail.cf
>>                                                            [FAILED]
>>
>>I don't get this. It looks to me that the path to the socket file is the
>>same in both the files.
>>
>>I then read this in a post on the clamav mailing list:
>>
>>"
>>I had to modify this line in my /etc/rc.d/init.d/clamav-milter file:
>>
>>CLAMAV_FLAGS=' --external -lo /var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.sock'
>>"
>>
>>I tried this advice as well, but I still keep getting the same error.
>

> You better don't edit the init script. /etc/sysconfig/clamav-milter
> should be sourced and contains all runtime imformation for the ClamAV
> milter process.
>

>>Saurabh.
>

> Alexander

Oops. I put the quotes in there myself while I was composing the post.
When I changed the sendmail.mc, I simple copied and pasted from your

Do I have to have 'unix:/var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.sock' (quotes ine
- only for the post) in the socket line? Can't I just specify
'local:/var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.sock'?

Thanks,
Saurabh.