network stalls on Fedora Core 3

Keith Fetterman kfetterman at go2marine.com
Sat Apr 16 03:57:30 UTC 2005

I checked /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn and it was set to 0.

After I checked that, I decided to run tcpdump on the remote server and
the workstation that is having the problem.  What I discovered is that
after the stall occurs, I can see the workstation sending a TCP request
to the server. I then see the remote server sending a response back to
the workstation, but the response TCP packet is never displayed by
tcpdump on the workstation. After a short pause, I see the workstation
sending the same packet again.

Now, I am sure the response packet is getting to the workstation because
  it was receiving data from the server.  Is it possible the the
workstation is dropping the response packet?

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 12:57, Keith Fetterman wrote:
>

>>You are not going to believe this.  The problem also exists in this
>>version of Ubuntu.  The only common thread that I can see is between
>>these two Linux OS's is the 2.6 kernel.  Ubuntu is essentially Debian
>>underneath.  I did a uname -r on the Ubuntu system.  The kernel is:
>>2.6.10-5-386
>

> Can this be a problem with explicit congestion notification?
> If /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn is not 0, it is a possibility.

Keith Fetterman                          206-780-5670
Mariner Supply, Inc.                     kfetterman at go2marine.com
http://www.go2marine.com