network stalls on Fedora Core 3

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 05:05:54 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 22:57, Keith Fetterman wrote:
> I checked /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn and it was set to 0.
>
> After I checked that, I decided to run tcpdump on the remote server and
> the workstation that is having the problem.  What I discovered is that
> after the stall occurs, I can see the workstation sending a TCP request
> to the server. I then see the remote server sending a response back to
> the workstation, but the response TCP packet is never displayed by
> tcpdump on the workstation. After a short pause, I see the workstation
> sending the same packet again.
>
> Now, I am sure the response packet is getting to the workstation because
>   it was receiving data from the server.  Is it possible the the
> workstation is dropping the response packet?

That sounds like a hardware problem.  If it only happens with
certain OS versions it is probably the particular NIC driver
in your machine or interrupt priorities of different devices
are letting it miss received data.  Can you try a different
kind of NIC or at least move it to a different slot?

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com