smartd OfflineUncorrectableSector error - worried?

Jurgen Kramer gtm.kramer at inter.nl.net
Sat Apr 16 10:47:10 UTC 2005

I just found out that smartd is reporting errors for one of
my samsung disks on my 3ware 9000 controller.

smartd gives the following message:

Subject: SMART error (OfflineUncorrectableSector) detected on host:
paragon.slim

This email was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

=================
  host name: paragon.slim
  DNS domain: slim
  NIS domain: (none)

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/twa0 [3ware_disk_00], 1 Offline uncorrectable sectors

For details see host's SYSLOG (default: /var/log/messages).

You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.
No additional email messages about this problem will be sent.

=========

A smartctl -a /dev/twa0 -d 3ware,0 shows that I indeed have one
uncorrectable sector for the first disk:

198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   100   100   011    Old_age
Offline      -       1

Should I be worried at this point? Or does it only mean that one sector
is unreadable and now replaced with a space sector?

Jurgen