[FC3] How to do key remapping on X startup???

Neil Dugan fedora at butterflystitches.com.au
Sun Apr 17 02:44:55 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 19:54 +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Sa, den 16.04.2005 schrieb VB um 19:33:
>
> > I'm trying to map Caps Lock to Esc on X startup but
> > everyhwere I've placed the commmand "xmodmap <path to
> > my home dir>/.Xmodmap" has not taken effect once I've
> > logged into an X session.  I know the .Xmodmap file is
> > correct since manually running "xmodmap <path to my
> > home dir>/.Xmodmap" once I'm in X works. I have
> > disabled Xkeyboard since the two apparently do not
> > work well together.
>
> I think ~/.Xmodmap is only read when using xdm.
>
> > How can I remap keys using xmodmap or xkeyboard
> > extension??? Nothing seems to work.
>
> Not the first time I post this. I am using following to remap my mouse
> buttons:
>
> $ cat /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/xmouse.sh
>
> #!/bin/sh
> # /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/xmouse.sh
> # Required for the configuration of a 5-button mouse
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"
>
> Alexander

Hi,
I have some codes in my xmodmap to make the numlock key irrelevant.  I
found the same problem.  I solved it by putting the call to 'xmodmap' in
my session startup.

I used 'Preferences->More Preferences->Sessions' to add a 'settings' to
the 'current session' at priority 50
'/usr/X11R6/bin/xmodmap /etc/X11/Xmodmap'

This is the only thing I found that worked.

Regards Neil.