Re: [FC3] kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 freezes on boot

On 16 Apr 2005, Slava Bizyayev wrote:

> I use kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 on my HP OmniBook XE2 pretty happily.
> After updating kernel to kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 I experience a strange
> behavior -- in the end of the boot (instead of X-login screen) machine
> freezes, and I cannot even get the terminal access with ctrl-alt-F1. Has
> someone experienced something similar? What's the work around?

For some reason, when I installed FC3, I got two kernels,
one for SMP, the other for uniprocessing.
Although I only have one processor,
the SMP version was made the default.
Unless I was quick enough to stop it, the SMP version would
run for a while and freeze.  The reset button produced an
unclean reboot.  After about three of those, the filesystems
were corrupted beyond repair.  I had to reinstall.
My work-around was to edit grub's configuration file to ignore
the SMP version.

Perhaps your update produced a similar evil.

--
Mike   hennebry web cs ndsu NoDak edu
"I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES.  *I* ONLY TURN UP ONCE."  --  Death