Re: Help Getting Root's email to recipient

tonydm wrote:

I have edited the line following #Person who should get root's mail in /etc/aliases to read root: me-user myemailaddress com (example to state the obvious). I have then run newaliases. Here's my trouble, or lack of understanding. I am not getting any of the roots messages. I do not have a mailserver running on this box. Sendmail is stopped.

There's the problem... /etc/aliasses is used by sendmail. Start sendmail.

How should I/or should I need to configure an email account in thunderbird or the like? How do I forward the roots mail to me-user myemailaddress com? I'm missing something obvious, but this greenhorn could use your help.

Setting up /etc/aliases is fine... you just need to start sendmail.

There are probably a few other things you need to configure in sendmail... like your ISP server names etc. Try using the "smarthost" feature...