Help Getting Root's email to recipient

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sun Apr 17 14:12:38 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 10:06 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sun April 17 2005 09:51 am, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > >
> > > I just implemented this and it works great.
> >
> > Be aware that if you don't have a resolvable FQDN for your Sendmail host
> > the mail has a high chance to be rejected by the MX host of the
> > recipient address. To avoid that use the smart host setting in
> > sendmail.mc.
> >
> As I had stated, this is working great. But, what is the 'MX host'? Are you
> talking about the mail server to which I'm having the mail forwarded? If so,
> it seems to be accepting my forwards just fine - I'll keep this suggestion in
> mind in case my ISP changes their policies- thanks.

The "MX host" is the mail server (and there may be several) that handles
incoming mail from the Internet for the domain you are sending the mail
to. Most servers will refuse mail from unresolvable domains because it's
impossible to send a reply or bounce back.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>