[FC3] kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 freezes on boot

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Sun Apr 17 17:27:23 UTC 2005

On 17 Apr 2005, Slava Bizyayev wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 23:36, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> > For some reason, when I installed FC3, I got two kernels,
> > one for SMP, the other for uniprocessing.
>
> How can I determine whether my kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 is for SMP, or for
> uniprocessing? I have only one processor on HP OmniBook X2.

I infered from the labels.
The first had smp in the label, the other has up in the label.

> > Unless I was quick enough to stop it, the SMP version would
> > run for a while and freeze.  The reset button produced an
> > unclean reboot.  After about three of those, the filesystems
> > were corrupted beyond repair.
>
> Sounds pretty similar to what I have ... some 20% of files are not OK
> after switching power off and reboot...
>
> > My work-around was to edit grub's configuration file to ignore
> > the SMP version.
>
> My grub.conf is generated by anaconda, Is it fine to edit it manually?

If not, I'm in trouble.

> I have only one entry for kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 in grub.conf file. It
> is quite similar to the entry of well working kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3
> (except the img file off-course).

I have no way of telling whether your kernel is SMP or not.

> Would you suggest just to kill this RPM and to wait for the next update?

My advice would not be useful.
So far, I have not directly used any rpms.

--
Mike   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES.  *I* ONLY TURN UP ONCE."  --  Death