Multiple NICs configuration

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Apr 17 20:09:47 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 10:30 -0700, Corey wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have 2 NICs in my server.  One has an external IP address for my web
> hosting and email server.  I'd like to configure the other one for an
> internal address for use with Samba.  Can this be done?

Yes it can be done.
I would caution you though, since you are running public services on
that box (apache and sendmail) it means that if the box is hacked, your
LAN is vulnerable.

So if the SAMBA server is on a LAN that is suppose to be secure, be
cautioned (if it exists to allow remote access, then ignore me)

What I do - I have router 1 that goes to world.
Off of router 1 I have a box with the public ports forwarded to that
box. I also have router 2 going off of router 1. My lan goes off of
router 2.

>From my LAN I can access by box that has public ports all day long, but
from the box that has public ports, I can get to my lan. I can ping the
router that feeds the LAN, but I can't get past that for anything - not
unless I was able to hack router 2.

I don't know if it matters to you, but it generally is not a good idea
to allow your box with public ports to be able to access services on
your LAN.

That being said - my LAN has a wireless router without any real security
(no WEP or WPA, though I do not broadcast SID and only allow 802.11g) -
but signal is very poor anywhere a car could park ... especially since
there is no street parking allowed (street not wide enough for emergency
vehicles with cars parked on street) ...