Release Notes - kernel

Birt, Jeffrey birtj at umr.edu
Sun Apr 17 20:46:56 UTC 2005

If your wanting to build the kerel from RPM sources you don't rally need to do this.  Alexander Dalloz was kind enough to explain it to me in this thread: 'Re: patching FC3 kernel' check the archives.  The jist of it is that after installing the source kernel (which gets installed to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES), you copy your patches into the same folder and modify the kernel-2.6.spec file which lives here /usr/src/redhat/SPECS.  After this is done you just do a  rpmbuild -ba --target=i686 kernel-2.6.spec and your kernel rpm is build ans put in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i686.  Then just do a normal rpm kernal install (and grub is automatically updated too).

Alexander was kind enough to show how to add new configuration setting to the config files.  I'm not sure how this whole method would work if you were wanting to use xconfig or something to modify the config file.

Jeff Birt