Help Getting Root's email to recipient

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Apr 17 22:11:09 UTC 2005

On Sun April 17 2005 04:13 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> You should better paraphrase such things. What do you want to tell
> me/us? That you now just get the Sendmail service start and stop
> messages and no longer the activity reports by gotmail? Then this is
> correct.

If I knew what I wanted to tell you, I would have said it without the two
messages being included in my post. I don't know enough to know that those
messages would be called 'activity reports' as you put it. I didn't really
understand what those messages were. My including them was a call - I put
them in for the sake of clarity.

> > So, I guess my next question relates to your comment about Matthew's
> > comment about not stop/starting sendmail. I had done this because I had
> > read that this service should be kept off to improve security. I thought
> > I was being clever, but, I gather you/Matthew are saying this isn't an
> > issue?  Should I take any security measures regarding sendmail if I turn
> > it on permanently?
>
> Yes, leave Sendmail running. The default configuration limit its binding
> to localhost only. So what kind of security do you think to gain when
> shutting it down?

For every strong opinion on how to run various things in Linux, you can find
10 contradictions. I spent the better part of today reading various documents
on Linux. When you're new to all this, it's hard to sort the good from the
bad and ugly. I'd read what seemed like a pretty good document on hardening
Linux and one of the things recommended was turning off sendmail.

For someone new like me, you're just another authority - it's hard for
learners like myself to know which ones to listen to. I appreciate your
taking time to help, today. I've started sendmail and removed the relevant
lines from my cronjob script, and now all the messages have stopped - - it's
a bit of an irony that this thread started as an appeal to get root's email
to a usr/recipient, since I've now managed to shut if off.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA