KMID, Timidity on FC-2 -- Cannot get a midi file to run! Grip works fine tho.

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Mon Apr 18 00:24:09 UTC 2005

Sound card: Yamaha YMFPCI

I have been able to run Grip and it plays my CD audio
just fine.  However anything else does not work.

I have found several problems with the MIDI sound players
and could not get *anything* to run with these players.
I tried running KMid on a midi file and it does not work,
kaput.  I tried timidity on a midi file that I obtained
off my windows system and it gave me a segmentation fault!
Then I tried timidity on the midi file: /usr/share/sndconfig/sample.midi
and timidity hit the CPU to the roof and no sound, nothing, nada --
and so I had to control-C twice to terminate it since NOTHING was
happening after 5 minutes.

Yes, I tried the alsamixer to ensure that I had tried all the
sliders -- no help.  But I knew that since Grip was putting out
sound I should have to do the alsamixer but what the heck --

Geez... what's left?

Dan