multimedia licensing

I have a question:

Many times I have heard that Fedora cannot be a fully functioning operating system because of licensing constraints.

My question is:

Why are other distributions not plagued by these same constraints? They're all Linux.

I have tried SuSE, Mandrake (now Mandrivel - such an unfortunate christening), Knoppix, and some minor distros.