dhcp evils

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 05:48:29 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 12:44, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> > > Is there a way to ask the system where it did get the hostname?
> > ----
> > cat /etc/sysconfig/network
>
> That gives me
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
> which to me is not informative.
>
> > you can edit there if you wish - probably have to '/sbin/service network
> > restart' to get it to take though.
> >
> > My guess is that you named this machine when you did the original
> > install.
>
> Assuming I did so (it was orange and it tasted like orange juice),
> where would that information be stored?

There are alternate versions of an assortment of files stored
under /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/.  I'm not sure what
circumstances cause these files to be created or for their
contents to override the ones you expect to be used, but
you might find this name in
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/network.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com