Printing from XP on FC3 servers (HP1010 and 2550 Printers) + NFS problem

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Mon Apr 18 14:08:28 UTC 2005

Livhu Tshisikule wrote:
> On Monday 18 April 2005 12:36, Roger Grosswiler wrote:
>
>>Livhu Tshisikule wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I have three FC3 Servers giving me some nightmares.
>>>The machines has been working for a while without any hassle. HP1010 is
>>>connected to host1 and HP2550 to host2 I used to print to both printers
>>>from my XP boxes without any problem. All of a sudden I could not print
>>>on HP1010 only from XP but from other Unix box it wasa fine. So I decided
>>>to share the printers on both machines and it works for some time then
>>>the HP2550 follows.
>>>
>>>On XP  --- Printers
>>>HP1010 on Host1 USB Connection
>>>HP1010 on Host2 Network to Host1
>>>HP2550 on Host1 Network to Host2
>>>HP2550 on Host2 USB Connection
>>>
>>>My third server FC3, has much bigger problem, it was also working for a
>>>long time. Now I cannot connect to it from other boxes only pinging to it
>>>works. the machine itself is up and running, I can browse on the
>>>internet, ssh to other machines, mount other directories from other
>>>boxes. Using lsof -i it shows that the services are running, sshd, nfs,
>>>samba etc
>>>

>>what is your printing app? cups? samba?
>>

> Not. sure I have both cups and samba running on the machine. lsof -i show both
> are running. To configure the printers, I used Gnome. I am also using samba
> to share directories with XP machines but that has never given me any
> problem.
>

>>Roger

you don't share your printers in samba? don't you have any printer-share
in samba??

in this case:

a) open port 631 on all machines with connected printers
b) in system-config-printer, make sure, that all printers are shared
c) when installing printers on your client, use ipp to install them
-> this should work

HTH
Roger