Up2date on FC3 64bit

Manny kcmanny at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 00:07:10 UTC 2005

On 4/4/05, James Wilkinson <james at westexe.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Doug Coats wrote:
> > I just purchased a new computer with the AMD 64bit processor.  I installed
> > FC3 on it yesterday using the 64bit version.  When I went to use up2date I
> > noticed both 32bit and 64bit files for upgrades.  Many of the 64bit files
> > would not install, complaining about conflicts with the 32bit versions that
> > were already installed.  The 32bit versions would not install either.
>
> I explained that 64 bit systems need 32 bit libraries if they are to run
> certain programs, like OpenOffice.
>
> Manny wrote:
>
> > I've been experiencing the same problem as well. I've tried several
> > things and nothing has worked. I've even gone to the update site and
> > tried doing it from there but I get the same errors, which is
> > "conflict with xxxx file"
>
> We need to know the "xxxx".
>
> Are you using yum or up2date? Can you give us the precise error message:
> we need to know which file is conflicting with which package.

At first it was just up2date and just recently (about two weeks or so
ago) yum started to give me the same problem.

> It would also be helpful if you did a
> rpm -q --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE} %{ARCH}\n' $PACKAGE
> where $PACKAGE is the package you're having trouble with.
>
> For example,
> [james at kendrick ~]$ rpm -q --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE} %{ARCH}\n' glibc
> glibc-2.3.4-2.fc3 x86_64
> glibc-2.3.4-2.fc3 i686

The example you give here is one of many. I tried to run up2date and
update glibc x86_64 latest update and it said it conflicts with the
old version.

I know this may sound a bit unusual, but would installing 32bit
version on 64bit system be better until 64 bit is more stable?

> And can you do a
> rpm -qf --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE} %{ARCH}\n' $FILE
> on the file $FILE.
>
> Thanks,
>
> James.
>
> --
> E-mail address: james | Hooray. "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue" is back on,
> @westexe.demon.co.uk  | complete with strip poker. Yes, this is on the radio.
>                      | ("Erm..  five queens", "Barry, you're playing with
>                      | postage stamps", "Oh.") -- Telsa Gwynne
>
> --

"Linux is like sex. It's better when it's free."