[FC3] kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 freezes on boot

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Apr 19 11:11:36 UTC 2005

Yuandan Zhang wrote:
> Michael Hennebry wrote:
>
>> On 16 Apr 2005, Slava Bizyayev wrote:
>>

>>> I use kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 on my HP OmniBook XE2 pretty happily.
>>> After updating kernel to kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 I experience a strange
>>> behavior -- in the end of the boot (instead of X-login screen) machine
>>> freezes, and I cannot even get the terminal access with ctrl-alt-F1. Has
>>> someone experienced something similar? What's the work around?
>>>

>> For some reason, when I installed FC3, I got two kernels,
>> one for SMP, the other for uniprocessing.
>> Although I only have one processor,
>> the SMP version was made the default.
>> Unless I was quick enough to stop it, the SMP version would
>> run for a while and freeze.  The reset button produced an
>> unclean reboot.  After about three of those, the filesystems
>> were corrupted beyond repair.  I had to reinstall.
>> My work-around was to edit grub's configuration file to ignore
>> the SMP version.
>>
>> Perhaps your update produced a similar evil.
>>

> Hi, I got exactly the same problem. I upgaded kernel from
> kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 on my HP nx5000 to kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3, Boot
> freezed. I troed to boot to the old kernel kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3, it
> froze too.
>
> Many help to get it started? If I used FC rescure disk, How can revert
> current kernel to orignial one?
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Yuandan

If the kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 used to work and then stopped working
after upgrading to the kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 version, using the
original kernel might not be of much help. There is probably a problem
related to something else that you installed along with the kernel
update that is causing you problems.

Regardless, the answer to your question would be to use the --oldpackage
option to rpm. This option will allow you to install older rpm versions.

rpm -ivh --oldpackage kernel-2*.rpm
as root user while in the directory that contains the kernel rpm package
(and as root) should install the older kernel version.

Jim