Re: get rid of old kernels

Jeff Vian wrote:

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 11:22 -0500, Langer, Christian wrote:

I installed the latest fc3 kernel and would like to get rid of the old
one to save disk space; does anyone know how to do that?

Chris Langer

to list all the kernels installed do:

[jeff eye_gore ~]$ rpm -qa kernel
kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3
kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3
kernel-2.6.9-1.667

To erase the one you want removed do:

[jeff eye_gore ~]$ su -c "rpm -e kernel-2.6.9-1.667"
Password:
[jeff eye_gore ~]$

Repeat for each kernel version to remove.

As someone has already said it has been discussed several times, but for
this use, rpm is much nicer than yum.

And apt (synaptic) is even nicer. I keep the highest level kernel and the next highest stable version as a backup. When I request that synaptic install a new kernel, at the same time I remove the old version. Grub and the /lib directory subtree are cleaned up automagically. OK, I know it's rpm that does the dirty deed under the covers, but synaptic makes it a lot easier to manage multiple kernel versions in a consistent fashion.
Cheers,
Gordon Keehn