Multiple NICs configuration

Corey coreyhead at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 19:26:19 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexander Dalloz [mailto:ad+lists at uni-x.org]
> I have 2 NICs in my server.  One has an external IP address for my web
> hosting and email server.  I'd like to configure the other one for an
> internal address for use with Samba.  Can this be done?  The problem I've
> run into when I do this is Apache and Sendmail start listening on this NIC
> #2 and 'ignoring' the NIC #1.  Does anyone have experience with this?

> Corey

Sure is this possible. Just setup the second NIC and tell Apache2 and
Sendmail to not bind to this IP:

Apache2 -> Listen directive in httpd.conf
Sendmail -> DAEMON_OPTIONS directive in sendmail.mc

I just wonder about your comment, both daemons would only bind to the
NIC #2 (private address space). This is nothing from default. If in
doubt post your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth{0,1} config
files.

OK...so here's what happens.  I activate the second NIC (eth1) and internet
browsing is unavailable on the server.  Going to an outside line, I try
going into a web page or checking email.  Both fail. I can't even ping my IP
address.  Inside on the LAN, Samba doesn't respond properly.  Computers know
it's there, but nothing can connect.  I checked the Firewall Options in the
Security Level panel and set eth1 to a trusted interface.  However, no
change in behavior.  I deactivate eth1 and just leave eth0 running, web and
outside lines are all happy again.

So below is my ifcfg files.  Let me know what you think...
THANKS!
Corey

[root at myserver network-scripts]# more ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST=10.10.10.255
IPADDR=10.10.10.10
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=10.10.10.0
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
GATEWAY=10.10.10.1
IPV6INIT=no
[root at myserver network-scripts]# more ifcfg-eth1
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST=192.168.10.255
IPADDR=192.168.10.201
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.10.0
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
GATEWAY=192.168.10.1
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
IPV6INIT=no
[root at myserver network-scripts]# more ifcfg-lo
DEVICE=lo
IPADDR=127.0.0.1
NETMASK=255.0.0.0
NETWORK=127.0.0.0
# If you're having problems with gated making 127.0.0.0/8 a martian,
# you can change this to something else (255.255.255.255, for example)
BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
ONBOOT=yes
NAME=loopback