labels + hot-spare sysdisk

Hi all,
I have a clone of my SCSI system disk which I want as a hot spare.
However, when I boot the system from the normal sysdisk
with the hot-spare plugged in, it moans about duplicate labels
and doesnt boot.
I presume I can get round this by specifying devnames instead
of labels in grub.conf and fstab, but am I storing up future
trouble by doing this? Will the first SCSI drive always have
a fixed device name (e.g. /dev/sda) or is it likely that with udev
developments for hotswap SCSI, booting will *only* be possible
with labelled partitions?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Terry.