SICK OF STUPID OWNERSHIP RULES!!

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Wed Apr 20 13:46:06 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 06:36, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mi, den 20.04.2005 schrieb Richard Crawford um 15:20:
> > > IIRC LinNeighbourhood does not mount SMB shares.
> >
> > If you're using KDE, you can use KNetAttach to create a permanent link to
> > a remote Samba share, now that I think about it, then browse that share
> > in Konqueror.  I do that at work.
>
> With LinNeighbourhood does not mount I meant, that it uses smbclient and
> not smbmnt/smbmount. Can't say what KDE does with a "permanent link".

I'm not sure either; I just discovered the feature a week or so ago (I was
working at home while sick), and I've been like a kid in a candy store with
it.  I've been playing with port forwarding a lot as well.

> > > An example line for mounting an SMB share you find in the previous
> > >
> > > posting of this thread which you even quote yourself:
> > >
> > > While I feel an "fmask=777" makes simply no sense. And the password
> > > shouldn't be stored in the fstab but use of a credentials file should
> > > be made. Please see "man mount" for more details.
> >
> > To be honest it's been something like three years since I set that up.
> > It seems to work just fine, though I can't remember if I really needed
> > the fmask or not.  I'll revisit it.  Thanks for the tip.
>
> Ok :) I puzzled myself with fmask for fat mounts. While there fmask has
> the meaning of an umask for files, with smbmount fmask stands for the
> real permissions (=>umask=000).

I may be misunderstanding you, but it looks like you're saying that with the
fmask=777 in my fstab line, then every file I write to the share should have
permissions 000.  I've been trying to figure out why they don't, and I think
it's because in my smb.conf file on the host machine, I've got "create mask =
0664", which probably overrides the fmask rule in my fstab file.  Am I right?

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com