Watching DVDs?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Apr 20 16:42:47 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 15:16 -0400, Steve wrote:

> What is the proper way to enable DVD movie viewing in Fedora Core 3?
> I was able to get Totem to view MPEGs, but still can't watch DVDs.

xine is currently best at playing DVDs - most features, least problems.

Create the file named /etc/yum.repos.d/freshrpms.repo and fill it with
this content (i'm doing a copy/paste, please fix lines that are broken):

[freshrpms]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Freshrpms
mirrorlist=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/mirrors-
freshrpms
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1

Then import the Freshrpms GPG key:

wget -v -t 0 -nd -c \
http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/rpms/yum/RPM-GPG-KEY-freshrpms
rpm --import RPM-GPG-KEY-freshrpms

Then install xine:

yum --enablerepo=freshrpms install xine

Done! :-)
yum should pull in all dependencies, xine should be able to play DVDs
right away.

There are some other nice multimedia apps on Freshrpms, browse the
repository (URL below) then do a "yum --enablerepo=freshrpms install
package-name"

http://freshrpms.net/packages/

--
Florin Andrei