SICK OF STUPID OWNERSHIP RULES!!

kwhiskers kwhiskers at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 19:52:33 UTC 2005

I guess Goodwin's Law didn't kill this thread, as there was another posting
after it was invoked ;-)

Sorry, guy (you who started this thread), that you are frustrated with the
permissions and yur inability to get them to do what you want. I did not
follow your thread from the beginning, so I do not know what your specific
concern is. However, I can talk about my own experience, which might help
you along the road to understanding.

When I began, I also had some difficulties getting it set up - by default -
to do what I wanted, which in my case was full access for ME, as it is MY
computer and ALL of the data is MINE. Period.

Well, a long time of fiddling and chmod-ding the permissions of files
finally lead to an understanding of the setting of a default umask in
/etc/bashrc and my problems have vanished.

I had to go back and correct the permissions of the existing data, but all
new files created now automatically have the permission I want and I feel
that my data is secure.

I created a guest account on my system to verify this. I cannot look at the
material in guest and guest cannot get at my stuff, but both of us can use
the data (the cliparts, mp3, etc).

I am not sure what yu are/were trying to achieve, but this has worked very
well for me after a bit of perseverance, learning and fiddling. And I feel
my data is secure and I can allow a guest to use my system without me having
to worry that he might accidentally delete my music files, for example.

Permissions allow you to do all of this.