up2date service not working?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Apr 21 13:06:08 UTC 2005

David Liguori wrote:
> It's my understanding that, as FC3 is shipped, up2date and yum both use
> the same repo list, in yum.cfg.

No, this is not true.

yum uses repos specified in /etc/yum.conf and /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo

up2date uses repos specified in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources

 > You need to tweak your repo list if
> you're getting slow mirrors all the time.

Agreed.

> The Red Hat sites, in particular, are usually very busy.

Agreed.

> Also, some on this list seem to think that up2date is only a gui tool.
> up2date has a "nox" option.  While the details of operation may differ,
> running "up2date -u" is functionally equivalent to "yum -y update", and
> fewer characters to type as well.  Both are equally effective at
> extinguishing the red ball in the notification tool, and neither
> requires further user input.

Agreed, though it's probably best to stick to one tool so as to avoid
downloading multiple copies of metadata, one set per tool. It's not a
big deal though.

Paul.