Re: Symbolic links disappear after reboot

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
Am Do, den 21.04.2005 schrieb dev loop gmail com um 18:59:

I created a symlink 'lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 21. Apr 18:57 /dev/dvd -> /dev/hdc' for mplayer to find the DVD when I start it with 'mplayer dvd://1'

But everytime I reboot, the symlink is gone and I have to create it again.

Anyone else seen this ?
Maybe it is related to the change from dev to udev. Dunno anything about udev.

Correct, normal and caused by udev populating /dev each startup
dynamically. See i.e.

http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php#multiple-symlinks

Specifically in this case, creating a file /etc/udev/rules.d/10-custom.rules containing the line:

KERNEL="hdc", SYMLINK="dvd"

should fix the problem if the standard udev rules don't find your drive (the standard rules have no problem finding my Sony DVD writer and creating this and other links), but you *do* need the udev package from updates-released.

Paul.