printing from windows to fedora box

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Apr 22 13:11:56 UTC 2005

Long story short: I had it working, got a new printer, now it doesn't...

Long story long: I got Samsung ML-1740 printer.  Samsung provided ppd
file for it, however when using it, printing doesn't work for whatever
reason.  The log files indicate printing was OK, but nothing comes out
of the printer!?  It seems to be working from Linux box if I select
ML-1710 driver that is distributed with Cups.  On my Windows XP box, I
defined printer as http://print.host:631/printers/ML1740, and on the
Linux side I had those two lines for raw printing in mime.* files
enabled.  However, when I print test page, nothing comes out of the
printer.  Log files on Linux side indicate as if the job was completed
successfully.  I stayed until 1 am yesterday trying to resolve this, but
no success.

The same setup worked with my Brother printer connected to another Linux
box (very similar to this one), and I can't see any differences in
configuration.

Has anybody else run into similar problems with Samsung ML-1740 printer
on Fedora box when attempting to print from Windows directly to Cups
using IPP?