Hwclock error - "select() ... timed out"

Mark msalists at gmx.net
Fri Apr 22 19:04:09 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have a new Dell PowerEdge 2650 and installed FC3. I update the time against an ntp server.
After rebooting, the time was a few hours back.
I resynched against the ntp server and tried to do a "/sbin/hwclock --systohc", which gave me the following error:

select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out

What causes this? I don't think it's a hardware problem since the same thing happens an several machines that are all new...

Hwclock --show gives me the same error...

Thanks,

MARK