No Sound Audio CD Compaq SR1200NX

William J. Salvino ws at his.com
Fri Apr 22 23:46:25 UTC 2005

I have a new computer: Compaq Presario SR1200NX. It has an Asus A7V8X-LA
motherboard with KM400A (northbridge) and VT8237 (southbridge) VIA
chips. I installed another HD and installed Fedora Core 3 from
CheapBytes.com cd's on the new HD following the excellent instructions
at http://mpeters.us/linux/dualboot_grup.php. I have been working my way
through Stanton Finley's excellent Installation Notes where applicable
to my system:
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_3_installation_notes.html.

When I put an audio cd in the drive the cd player launches but will not
play the cd. I updated udev with yum and unmuted the volume controls but
still no change.

I can receive audio streams with Real10 and the BBC2 radio player
launches and works inside of Firefox.

On the applications menu...system settings...soundcard detection audio
devices gui reports Vendor: Via, Model: Technologies,Inc.
VT8233/A/8235/8237 audio controller, Module: snd-via82xx. When I click
on the play test sound bar I do not hear the sample sound and I get the
error message "Automatic detection of the sound card did not work. Audio
will not be available on the system."

I have been reading e-mails to the Fedora list about non-working cd's
but I don't see or recognize the report of a similar problem.

I am not sure what I should send to the list for diagnosis.

cat /etc/fstab
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
LABEL=/                 /                       ext2    defaults     1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext2    defaults     1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults     0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults     0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults     0 0
LABEL=SWAP-hda3         swap                    swap    defaults     0 0
/dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto
pamconsole,ro,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 via-rhine
alias scsi_hostadapter sata_via
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
options snd-card-0 index=0
install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-via82xx { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-via82xx
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394

dmesg | grep hdc
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xc408-0xc40f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
hdc: IDE-CD R/RW 48xC, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: ATAPI 48X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)

cat auto.misc
#
# $Id: auto.misc,v 1.2 2003/09/29 08:22:35 raven Exp $
#
# This is an automounter map and it has the following format
# key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
# Details may be found in the autofs(5) manpage

cd        -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev    :/dev/cdrom

Please let me know what else I should send.

Thanks in advance.

Bill
ws at his.com