add windows entry in grub

Raghavendra Moktali rmoktali at vsnl.net
Sat Apr 23 06:36:23 UTC 2005

Touriste wrote:
> here is my grub.conf :
>

>># grub.conf generated by anaconda

<snip>

title Windows XP

make the following changes.
title Windows XP

# disks configured as below
# windows disk as master (hda)
# linux disk as slave (hdb)

	map (hd0,0) (hd1,0)
	map (hd1,0) (hd0,0)
	root (hd1,0)
	chainloader +1
	boot

>>title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.14_FC3)
>>        root (hd0,0)
>>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
>>        initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.14_FC3.img

> my hardisk with windows is the master and my hard disk with linux is the slave. In order to boot with grub i've inversed the order in the bios. indeed windows is slave and linux master even if they are not physically plug in that order.
(fix your mail program's line length to warp at something like 70
characters.)

A better approach would be to make the windows disk master and the
linux disk slave (of course *after* installing linux) and
*boot from the slave (linux) disk from your bios*
this does not cause any problems with performance issues if you have
multiple partitions in your windows disk and leaves you free to mess
around with it if required. It's working for me nicely.

--
Raghavendra Moktali