squid folder permissions

David Niemi drn_temp2 at rogers.com
Sun Apr 24 00:19:35 UTC 2005

I am trying to setup squid as a transparent proxy server / accelerator
and instead of using the default /var/spool/squid I'd like to
use /tmp/spool/squid.  I'd like to use this drive as I have a lot more
frees space.

When I set the cache_dir in the squid.conf file then issue "squid -z"
there is this error in the log file:

2005/04/23 23:16:06| /tmp/spool/squid: (13) Permission denied
FATAL: 	Failed to verify one of the swap directories, Check cache.log
	for details.  Run 'squid -z' to create swap directories
	if needed, or if running Squid for the first time.
Squid Cache (Version 2.5.STABLE9): Terminated abnormally.

I tried creating the directories and setting the same permissions and
owners as is visible from checking the file properties with nautilus
always with the same error.

I think that I am missing something simple but cannot think of what it
is?

What could be happening when squid tries to create the directory and
can't?

Why can't I create the directory with what I think are the proper
permissions?

how the ___ can I do this?!