no www after yum update

Robert Slade fedora at bathnetworks.com
Sun Apr 24 07:00:00 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 23:46, script wrote:
> --- script <script_me at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > --- David Cary Hart <Fedora at TQMcube.com> wrote:
> > > DNS issues. Have you installed NetworkManager?
> > >
> > > Check /etc/resolv.conf.
> >

> Well, having NO idea what NetworkManager was, I ran it
> - after i'd manually put in the nameserver address in
> my /etc/resolv.conf file and been able to ping
> www.yahoo.com successfully.  NetworkManager emptied my
> file and put in some line about not editing it because
> it was autogenerated by NetworkManager...
>
> At any rate, now names are once again not resolving -
> even with the primary and secondary dns servers
> re-entered in /etc/resolv.conf and service network
> restart.
>
> NetworkManager-0.3.4-1.1.0.fc3 is installed and is
> what I suppose I ran when I entered NetworkManager on
> my command line.

It looks to me like your machine is not picking up the DNS entires from
the DHCP on your router. Try running system settings -> network and see
if the ethernet card is set to obtain address from DHCP or you have a
static address set. If static address you will need to add the DNS IP's
under DNS entries.

Note: you will have to enter the DNS(s) by hand if you use static
addresses, the automatic setting only works with DHCP enabled.

Rob