general rules for partitioning

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sun Apr 24 14:02:12 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 06:55:06AM -0700, Don Russell wrote:
> Unless otherwise told:
> - a small boot partition
> - a partition large enough for the entire system as shipped + % "expansion"
> - a partition for /home and /var and ?

I don't see a need for a separate /var on most desktop systems. But there
could actually be different defaults based on installclass (Personal
Desktop / Workstation / Server / etc.) -- that's what we do here at BU.

> I'm not sure where all user preferences etc are kept, but it'd be nice
> if an upgrade from one release of FC to the next could include a
> "reformat system partition(s)" so the base install could be "clean", but
> without loosing user data, preferences and third-party packages.

You pretty much can't avoid zapping /etc, and that'll include some amount of
configuration information. But beyond that I think it might be a bit hard
for the installer to safely and reliably detect exactly what you want here
-- the current situation, where you can choose yourself, seems safer.