Samba Printing Woes

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Sun Apr 24 14:43:00 UTC 2005

I've just rebuilt my old RH8 file/print server up to FC3 (completely fresh
install, new hard drive and everything).  Mostly everything seems to be
working well so far.  It's sending out mail, Samba shares are seen properly
for file sharing, music files are serving up properly.

Unfortunately, I can't get the printer -- my sturdy, reliable HP 712C -- to be
seen in Samba.  When I st up the printer locally on the server, it works just
fine, and prints test pages beautifully.  However, I'm having no luck at all
sharing out the printer via Samba.

Here is the Samba information from the printer, generated by SWAT:

[Fluffy]
        path = /var/spool/samba
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        browseable = Yes

This configuration worked perfectly under RH8, which was running Samba 2.  The
new server runs Samba 3, but I can't find anything on Google which would
indicate that anything needs to be changed.

I'm at my wit's end, and I need to print up some documents.  What am I doing
wrong?

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com