Install nVidia video driver

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sun Apr 24 20:25:38 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 01:06:47PM -0400, Sam Johnson wrote:
> Hello,
> I need to download and install the nVidia driver for FC3/Pentium 3/GeForce
> FX 5200. Which one and how do I download it and then install it? The
> instructions on the site's page left me confused.
>
> Thank you,
> --
> Sam Johnson
You go to www.nvidia.com and download the latest driver with a name
like: NVIDia...run
Type: ctrl-alt-F1
In the terminal window login as root.
Then run: init 3
You will see some output lines but soon you can use the keyboard
again.
Then run: chmod u+x NVIDIA.....run
Then run: ./NVIDIA,,,,,,run
The ./ is important since . is not in the PATH of root generally.
You will be asked some questions but eventually the drivers will be
installed. Then you have to change the Driver line in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf to read:
Driver      "nvidia"
run: init 5

and you should be set.

Our swords shall play the orators for us.
		-- Christopher Marlowe
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University