laptop suspend

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 24 20:31:32 UTC 2005

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:00:29 -0400 (EDT)
Gaspar Bakos <gbakos at cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Indeed, this i can confirm. With acpi=off, the laptop suspend (or
> hybernate?) works again. Of course, there is no "acpi", and thus some
> other features become missing, for example, the CPU speed of the T40
> laptop gets stuck at 600MHz, and does not change depending on the
> presence of the AC input.

If your T40 supports speedstep, then it's probably doing what it is
supposed to be doing - keeping the processor speed low until the machine
actually needs it.

For example, my X22 shows this speed right now (cat /proc/cpuinfo):

model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) III Mobile CPU       800MHz
cpu MHz         : 531.712

... and since I'm just composing an e-mail that's fine.

Start doing something more CPU-intensive, and I get:

model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) III Mobile CPU       800MHz
cpu MHz         : 797.569

Yours may be doing something similar.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!