installer hdlist

I'm writing a script which will install a base package Fedora Core installation into /tmp/base (for example) so I can chroot into it and do
some minor admin tasks.

From what I understand comps.xml gets used for the graphical installer
and hdlist is the file which actually has all the useful good stuff in it. I've had a google around and I couldn't see anything immediately obvious that'd do the job. Does anyone know of such a thing that'd let me parse hdlist for a list of packages that are in the 'base' group?

If anyone has any experience of building 'clean installs' like this I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks.

graham