can I use yum to download to a holding place and then update othermachines with the dl files

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Mon Apr 25 18:24:00 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Li" <cli168 at yahoo.com>
To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 10:35 AM
Subject: can I use yum to download to a holding place and then update
othermachines with the dl files

> Hi,
> I would like to know if I can configure yum to
> download updated to holding area and update other PCs
> with the downloaded files?
> I have 3 PCs and they all have the save software.
> Since 2 of them are at home, without highspeed
> connection, that would save me time.
>
> So, this is what I want to do:
> - use yum to download to a holding directory
> - use yum to update PCs from holding directory
>
> Is this possible?  If yes, how do I configure Yum to
> do it?
>
> Thanks,
> Charles Li

You can, but I wouldn't.  You would need to make sure that the machines at
home have *exactly* the same packages installed that the one on the high
speed network does.

I wrote an article for Intel about keeping multiple machines up to date back
in the Red Hat Linux 9 days.  There are some tips in there that you could
easily use:

http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/20575.htm

Thomas