Re: rebooting a remote FC3 system

bruce wrote:
bill...

i'm pretty sure it 'reboots', ie, the remote system has the user/passwd
prompt.. i put a dummy character in the user... i go to my system that i'm
using to ssh into the box. i do a 'reboot' and i see that the remote screen
no longer has the 'dummy char' in the user.. if i'm fast enough, i can
actually see part of the reboot process..

but i still have the network connection issue that i mentioned....

if i stand at the machine, and physically power it down/hit the reboot
switch, everything works ok..

That smells of a network card that's having issues with autonegotiation if it isn't actually powered down. Perhaps you can force the card into a fixed mode by appending options to its entry in /etc/modprobe.conf so it doesn't try autonegotiation.

And please bottom-post in the future, as I have done.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens vitalstream com -
-           If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid!           -