Clock/Time issues

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Apr 25 20:15:51 UTC 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Charles Malespin wrote:

> I forgot to mention that I am running a dual boot with XP on the other
> side.  Does this mean that I cant use the UTC option?  Is there
> something else that I can do since I am using XP?  Thanks,
> Charles

You can set Linux to expect the hardware clock to contain local time
(using system-config-date), but the switch back and forth between standard
time and daylight time is a pain.  Linux only updates the hardware clock
for daylight time if it is running when the switch is made.  Windows
updates the first time it's booted after the switch whether Linux updated
it or not.  In Windows, each user can set the update flag individually.
On a multi-boot, multi-user system, chaos ensues when the changeover
occurs.

I have a dual-boot FC/XP system.  I don't use the XP side much, so I did
the following:

(1) Set up Linux so the hardware clock uses UTC and Linux uses my timezone
(US Eastern).

(2) Set up Windows to use timezone GMT (GMT standard time is the same as
UTC).

(3) Turn off daylight savings time auto-adjust for all Windows users.

(4) Live with the fact that Windows time is 4-5 hours later than local
time.  If I want to know what time it is when in Windows, I look at my
watch.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences