[SOLVED] FC3 install SCSI disk geometry issue

neidorff neidorff at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 20:19:42 UTC 2005

On 4/26/05, Kam Leo <kam.leo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/26/05, neidorff <neidorff at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm trying to install FC3 on a "new" SCSI hard disk.  The disk is an
> > IBM Model DHRS.  When I boot from the FC CD, I get a warning that the
> > geometry that the disk reports and the geometry that fedora sees are
> > different.  I tried going through the install anyway (setting up
> > partitons using disk-driud), but disk druid couldn't handle the
> > geometry difference problems,  (If it matters, the controller is a
> > Buslogic BT958.  Yes, the controller is set up for large disks)  and
> > the installation crashed.  Would someone please tell me how to resolve
> > this issue?
> >
> > Thanks Mark
> >

> Probably your scsi controller needs a bios upgrade.

SOLVED!  I booted an old knoppix CD and deleted all the partitions on
the drive that it found. I then created a partition just so that there
would be one.   I then booted from the FC3 CDs created the rest of the
partitions and everything installed just as it should have!  Thanks
for the reply.  (I got my hint from the FAQs that said that when using
SCSI disks, the "true" geometry of the disks didn't matter.  The
controller would take care of everything.

Thanks again,

Mark