Re: brute force ssh attack

Hi,

> My question is:  They did not guess the root password,
> how did they manipulate files which are only writable
> by root???

The following articles at wikipedia should give you an idea what was
going on on your maschine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploit_%28computer_security%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

Hope that helps,

Jan

P.S. I would recommend an clean re-install. You never know what things
are sleeping and hiding on your maschine now...
--
PGP: 2814 0DC4 597A 1083 9AA4 6F76 0DD9 54E1 B706 0963